Women’s Reproductive Systems, Hormones and Being Overweight
So this is something I’ve been researching for a long time now. It’s also something that is near and dear to my heart.
So, one of my biggest worries with losing all this weight is that I will get pregnant before I reach my goal. Although I’m ready for another baby and want another baby- this is just the stupid girl in me. haha!!!
My first pregnancy did not go smoothly. First of all, it took me a long time to get pregnant. I suffer from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), it’s not severe (for me) but it’s reversible. The crazy thing is PCOS is caused by a hormone imbalance in women. And being an obese/overweight or an underweight woman- your hormones will be imbalanced. Some women experience some or all of the following: missed periods, have more body hair, have breathing problems, become insulin resistant, depression, diabetes, and of course it causes infertility/other menstruation problems. If you aren’t having regular periods, you aren’t ovulating and you probably won’t get pregnant. A lot of women have PCOS and aren’t diagnosed until they try to have a baby and are finding it difficult to conceive. Your doctor will tell you to lose weight. And every woman hates being told about her weight- ESPECIALLY to lose some!
My period has always been sporadic unless I was on birth control. But it can be reversed! If you lose weight?! This is how I got pregnant with my son. I lost about 10-15 lbs when I was on birth control. Then when I ran out, my husband and I made a decision to try to have a baby. And since I had been on birth control for so long- I knew when I’d be ovulating. And presto! My eggo was preggo!
Here’s a STAT from the International Council on Infirtility
“Polycystic Ovary Syndrome affects an estimated 5-10 percent of women of childbearing age and it is a leading cause of infertility. It is the most common endocrinopathy among reproductive age women. As many as 30 percent of women have some characteristics of the syndrome.”
So, you can understand how I’m slightly paranoid. This is something I’ve been thinking about since I decided to make changes to my lifestyle. I had a period the entire month of February! No joke, I went through like 3 boxes of super jumbo tampons.
No, it wasn’t a miscarriage- just a crazy long period because I hadn’t had one in over a year. March/April I had a 2 week periods in each month. This part gets a little crazy- I didn’t have a period in May – I thought I was pregnant for awhile… but after 4 negative pregnancy tests and no pregnancy symptoms except for being tired, no period, and some acne I really don’t think I’m pregnant. In fact I know I’m not. Although sometimes when I see little babies – I wish I was 🙂
My hormones are working their way to balancing out in my body. And I’ve decided to just let them do their thing instead of trying to force them one way or another with birth control. My body is going though a lot right now. Maybe I will get pregnant, maybe not. Even though I had a few periods this year- doesn’t mean I was even ovulating. But one thing I do know? I won’t have a pregnancy like my last one. You can read about that here. My Son’s Birth Story.
Here are some helpful links about Obesity, Infertility and how to reverse PCOS.
- Infertility & Reproduction Health Center
- Obesity and the Infertility Connection
- Weight loss in obese infertile women results in improvement in reproductive outcome for all forms of fertility treatment. (Oxford Journals)
- Obesity and infertility. (The National Center for Biotechnology Information)
- Five Steps to Reverse PCOS Symptoms (Divine Caroline)
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome & Nutrition Symptoms (LiveStrong)
- Getting Pregnant When You Have PCOS (secondaryinfertilitycauses.wordpress.com)
- PCOS affects women of reproductive age (arabtimesonline.com)
- Pcos (makeroomformommy.wordpress.com)
- Can You Get Pregnant With Pcos – Uncover Tips For Getting Pregnant With Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (canyougetpregnantwithpcos.wordpress.com)
- Survey shows 1 in 10 young women have PCOS and 75% of us are unaware it (polkadotsandpotions.wordpress.com)
- [The Diet Solution Program] Obesity Treatment (yytbsa50.wordpress.com)